HOW WILL IT HELP YOU?
Cycling fitness can be fickle! One minute you’re in the form of your life and the next you find yourself struggling to rotate the pedals without pain. Cycling injuries are an unfortunate part of most riders relationship with the bike, especially so starting off. Some people are more prone than others, but most cyclists will find themselves off the bike at some point.
The aim of the Bike fit package is to reduce the risk of overuse injuries, improve your cycling performance and keep you in the saddle. If you are already injured this will get you fit again and back cycling with the minimum time out of the sport you love.
What's included in the Bike Fit Package?
Your initial assessment includes a full history of current & previous injuries, points of discomfort, cycling experience & goals as well as general health and lifestyle questions.
A detailed comprehensive physiological examination of the body with close physical examination of sites of previous injury. This screening process is so detailed it will identify leg length discrepancies and foot types which contribute to mal alignment on the roadbike.
Physical examination of flexibility, core strength, functional stability, upper body strength & cycling technique.
Initial video captures your riding posture style, any rider imbalance or lack of symmetric before adjustments are made to your bike.
A detailed bike fitting will include:
- Recommendation of saddle type (length, width, extent of cutout)
- Saddle adjustment (centred, fore, aft, tilt, height)
- Cockpit adjustment (stem height & length, handlebars, hood position)
- Crank length.
- Cleat position (fore, aft, external/internal rotation, medial/lateral deviation)
- Shoe adaptions (forefoot wedging, orthotic indication)
A post adjustment cycling video captures your revised riding posture & style and recaptured symmetry.
Bike Fitting Considerations
Our bike fitting service reflects considerations of injury, available joint range of motion, age, flexibility so that the optimal comfortable bike position is created. We aim to increase power, efficiency, aerodynamics within the constraints of what our body allows, as opposed to bike fittings elsewhere which focus on performance (often measured in Watts) in intolerable positions. A comfortable bike fitting facilitates the optimal performance.
During the bike fitting process the principles are explained clearly so that the cyclist is equipped with knowledge to make minor adjustments as their body changes.
A final video & bike fit manual & measurements captures the data.
Rehearsal & exercise handout on home stretching programme to improve the flexibility of the important cycling muscle groups.
A rehearsal & exercise handout on a strengthening programme. These scientifically – based exercises strengthen, improve performance and prevention from injuring the important cycling muscles.
Posture advice at work and in daily living to minimise the risk of low back pain on the bike.
HOW WILL THE BIKE FIT PACKAGE BENEFIT ME?
- Reduce pain
- Reduce risk of overuse injuries
- Increase comfort
- Improve position
- Improve aerodynamics
- Optimise performance
- Gain an unfair advantage over your cycling buddies!
Detailed Bike Fitting (60 mins)
2 x Follow Up visits to include individual
flexibility & Core stability home programmes
Detailed Bike Fitting ONLY (60 mins)
WHAT ARE THE COMMON INJURIES IN CYCLING?
- 1. Impact injuries – Crashes are an unfortunate side effect of cycling and may result in concussions, fractures (the collar bone is most common), muscle injuries and road rash.
- 2. Cycling overuse injuries – These are more common & usually result from poor bike fitting, technique, stability or flexibility issues. These include:-
- Lowback pain radiating into the buttock
- Knee pain
- ITB Band Pain (outer thigh)
- Neck pain
- Wrist pain
- Tingling in hands (ulnar or Median Nerve pressure)
- Hot foot – burning sensation in balls of feet due to poor cleat position.
- Plantar Fasciitis (heel pain)
- Saddle sores – due to saddle type or positions
Fortunately a detailed Bike Fitting at Baily Point Physiotherapy can prevent or treat many of these overuse symptoms.
”Top class service from Michael Gallagher - many times over the years has "fixed me" with sensible and practical solutions and advice, including one occasion where others had suggested more drastic actions which would have had serious implications for myself. Highly recommended!Barry O'Donoghue
”Thanks so much to Darcy for the physio this week and last. I feel fantastic!. I’ve been able to sleep pain-free and dance with my babies again!. Very very happy with the service.Ann Marie Gilmore
”Thanks to Michael and the team at Baily Point Physio. After visiting them in August with knee problems they sorted me out with orthotic insoles and an exercise routine. Since then (2months ago) I have climbed Kilimanjaro twice with no knee problems – a great result. Highly recommend them.Duncan Warner